3.18.2020

Game on, Covid 19, Game On

It was definitely not unexpected but the Corona Virus has officially landed on the central coast of California and the current push is to flatten the infection curve by closing schools and more or less encouraging people to shelter in place.

Because of my work in the school system and with children, I was well aware that there would be something big happening here. It felt like things developed from minute to minute for a long time until a plan appears to have been developed.

As of late Sunday morning, I will not be going in to work until after spring break which ends three weeks from now. My co-workers are considered essential and will be working until everything is completely shut down and we have to retreat to our burrows until spring.

In other news, my main Twitter account was somewhat randomly but not altogether unexpectedly suspended. I have submitted an appeal but am putting in lots of effort in building up my back up account into something viable as I do not expect much from the appeal if I'm being honest (which I am and I always wonder when other people say that if it means they're usually not being honest?).

Anyway, the virus is making people a little crazy. Well, maybe a little is an understatement. Stores are getting cleaned out faster than they can get restocked. People are calling around looking for where the next truckload of toilet paper is going to be delivered. Hand sanitizer is now more valuable than gold, almost.

But that does not mean you should try to be this asshole attempting to make a big profit off the pandemic (NYTimes link, much dinkery on that side, sorry). But look at his sad face and all his sanitizer. Not really feeling much sympathy for him.

I am as bummed about the loss of ability to teach and do 3d printing with students at my school as anything else. I mean, I'm not complaining about having several weeks off of work. Especially if the weather cooperates and we get some nice spring swell and good sun. I've been teaching and mostly introducing 3d printing to a bunch of 6th graders. Some have been content to grab and print files that others have designed and some are getting into their own designs.

We've been using Tinkercad to do our designs in because it is pretty easy to use and let me set up a bunch of classes to manage projects a little better. I am learning on the go here as well so it has been fun. I've begun making my own designs. By far my most ambitious is this 3 room stacked mini house built into a riser to stack Ikea Lack tables with (used for making 3d printer enclosures).

This is my latest surfing video with swanky edits and b-roll. And this is about it for this blog update, it is a crazy time right now and will probably get crazier before it gets saner. Oh and it looks like the Dems are going to nominate increasingly demented Joe Biden to run against Trump, I'm sure that'll go well.


blog comments powered by Disqus