6.11.2003

Taking Back America for Canada?
There's a dual thread conversation going on among two of my regular blog reads regarding a spot on the internet called UnBrandAmerica that seeks to black out brand imagery in America and take it back from the crass over commercialization that has consumed our culture.
The first site, intellectual properties, brought it to my attention and I liked the concept but did not take the time to examine all of the ideals and plans for execution.
And Rambling Rhodes did take the time to examine the philosophy of the idea. And then pans it in every way shape and form. He takes their words and responds to each concept and claim in order, with his own spicy humor to make it a better read.
Both sites and the comments make good points.

My addition to the whole thing is that UnBrandAmerica isn't an American company or organization. They're a bunch of Canadians with a social agenda. Not that its a bad thing really but I'm more than a bit confused as to why some Canadians are trying to take back America, I don't think they ever had it in the first place.
intellectual properties' response is that they are most likely talking about North America but I don't buy it, they don't ever mention North America, they don't mention Canada or Mexico. Its the USA they are leveling their social engineering weapons against. And as such, I've got to say that they really don't have any place to try and take back my country, no matter their desire to "save" us.

It would be the same for us to tell Mexico that we want them to return to a simpler way of life and give up modern conveniences like telephones, bathrooms and electricity because it would be better for their society. Its not for us (or for a Canadian group) to say.

0 comments: