10.22.2003

A Few More Feet Down the Road to Restoring My Faith in Humanity
Today's Excite Instant Poll is about healthcare and the results were really pretty heartening to me.
Regarding healthcare, which do you think is more important:
Holding taxes down, even if it means some people going without health coverage 34% => 2834 votes
Providing health coverage for all, even if it means raising taxes 55% => 4556 votes
I�m not sure 9% => 755 votes
I don�t care 0% => 64 votes Current number of voters: 8209

People are willing to pay more in taxes to provide health insurance for all and that's a good thing. Sure, in the end, having health insurance for everyone is probably less expensive and less stressful but I don't think people were thinking that far into the future. They just realize that, to provide a safer America, people will have to help shoulder the burden of caring for others.

And that, my friends, is a good thing. Empathy for others has been on the decline in America for the last ten years or so, maybe we're starting to turn the corner to where other people's interests are important as well as our own.

0 comments: