12.16.2002

Coastal Storms
Well we had ourselves another weekend of serious storm action on the coast here. In fact, the damage was enthralling enough to make me stop on my drive to work not once but twice! So when I get home tonight I'll upload pics and post them to the blog. Suffice it to say that the beaches out here are nature's trashcan today.

One group of people was picking through the storm debris on the beach and idly collecting balls that they found in the washed up garbage. In the few moments that I watched them they pulled ball after ball, soccer balls, footballs, tennis balls, big red dodgeball balls, every manner of circular inflatable and the not so circular.

It was enough of a draw this morning off the point that there was almost no parking to get out and take a look. And there were cuties walking their dogs (whoever invented the half shirt should be sainted!) and tourists saddened by the mess alongside the locals who were laughing and enjoying war stories from last night's heavy downpour.

Last night was an exercise in forced ignorance. The wind was blasting the house hard enough to creak it from several angles and, in fact, I had to get up and crack my sliding glass door because it was cracking in a bad spot, instead I dealt with rain being blown into the room all night. Oh yeah, that was my 4 am wake up call! But it was still kind of cool and maybe I should refrain from saying this as I know local pals do read this but so what?

At one point last night I got it into my mind that it would be somewhat cool or just a hoot to climb up on the roof last night in the wind, naked.

Let's just say that I didn't stay up there long. But I can say that I stood in the full fury of the storm without a stitch of protection. And that's gotta count for something, no? I was tempted to do the streak to the end of the block and back but that would have been a bit more extreme than I needed.

Here's the Santa Cruz Sentinel's Friday Warning for the storm. I'll post pics if I find them today. Or will post my own when I get home tonight. Or try my own brand of storm pics.

No comments: