8.20.2003

A SoBig Backlash
As anyone with an inbox has become intimately aware of, the Sobig virus has truly grown to be a royal pain in the ass. Some accounts have upwards of 65 viruses an hour hitting them. I'm lucky and am only getting 10 to 20 an hour.
But there's a curious backlash, SoBig Auto Responders Flooding the Internet and we're all getting these messages telling us that our viral payloads weren't able to be delivered even though I don't think anyone out here is intentionally sending the virus around anymore.

Actually, it should be noted that this Sobig isn't really a virus, its a worm. But it still sucks.

An interesting and hopefully coincidental event that has happened a good half dozen times today. I'll surf a site on, say, lazertag, don't ask how I got there. And ten minutes later I'll get the virus in my in box with a somechumpie@lazetag.com address. Its happened more times than I'm comfortable with so I'm staying away from the bug stomping fetish sites until later on when I'm at home.

But seriously, its happened with CNET and several other major news outlets as well. I scan and rescan my drive, install the latest Stinger app from McAfee and still this continues. Spooky.

0 comments: