8.28.2003

The Day Every School Kid Dreads
Oh yeah, the first day of the new year, the day when summer vacation is the absolute furthest away, the day when you get to find out that Susie got boobs over the summer, that Bobby grew eight inches, that everyone in the whole world has a GameBoy Advance but you, that the years of ridicule aren't quite over yet. That there will be absolutely no parking anywhere near my house from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and then again for the hour surrounding 3 p.m.

And I love it, I didn't even notice it until I was watering the tomatoes this morning (which are kicking off fresh and fabulous tomatoes everyday now!). Probably because I wasn't woken up by a semi backing up or the random conversations of the construction guys. Instead, there was the muted noise of kids reacquainting themselves with each other and seeing all the changes and upgrades to their school.

Pretty soon it'll be back to normal, a noisy cacophony of kids, cars, moms, dads, teachers and the occasional early band practice. And you know what? I hadn't realized how much I missed it, how there's something really very wholesome about the noise kids make, how its a sign of the normal progression of life. That and they are nowhere near as loud as the construction crew was.

The other major noise violator has made some efforts to tone his visits down in his big stupid deisel truck. I'm pretty sure my neighbor had a word with either him or her daughter to let them know that it was time to pretend to be grownups and not have shouting arguments at 2:30 in the morning and then going and using the accelerator as his anger meter. Sure, the daughter now thinks I'm a huge asshole and won't even look at me anymore (or maybe that's just my imagination, who knows) but it really doesn't matter anymore. The neighborhood is quieter again, I am getting my sleep and the world's a far better place with 8 hours of sleep as opposed to the less than 6 I was getting over the last several months.

So yeah, today's a better day although I had to ride my Mojo in this morning as the Phat cruiser's busted again already and headed back to the shop later on today. I don't understand what the problem is and apparently they don't either but I can't be having to put the chain back on the bike everytime I ride it, that's just an incredibly irritating pain in the ass. But I did take the scenic route in this morning, down to the beach and along the river into work. I think I'll be riding that way alot more often, its just so much nicer and prettier.

Next up? Wedding news updates, oh boy! Actually some pretty cool stuff starting to happen and we're both beginning to get more and more excited about the whole prospect instead of being overwhelmed by it!

0 comments: