8.06.2006

Bracing for a Paradigm Shift

Tonight marks the end of one chapter and tomorrow morning is the beginning of the next. I start back to work tomorrow and am looking forward to hitting the ground running.

There are lots of great things about this new job that make it different from a typical new job. The first is that I know this company very well, I worked for them before during the dot com boom and then bust. I was laid off during the bust but not because of a lack of production on my part, it was simple economics. My client couldn't stay with us anymore and therefore my main reason for being there ceased to be. So I had to go.

But I took alot of good memories and excellent skills with me. And I never lost my respect for the two owners. Something I think is quite telling is that I invited them both to my wedding but not my (then) current boss. Because I had no interest in sharing my day with her because she didn't have any respect for me or anyone else who worked or works for her.

I always stayed in touch with my old company, they'd kick down some Giants tickets every now and again, we'd go to lunch every once in a while and I have had nothing but the utmost respect for both of them and how they run their business.

But there are lots of other things that I'm looking forward to about this job over just another job. I will be working primarily on Mac OS machines again which I very, very strongly prefer. I will be working with people who understand the business and understand that you need a proper set of tools with which to perform at your best. I will be working with like-minded individuals who are also capable and willing to come together as a team to accomplish company goals.

So I am looking forward to getting back to work, earning a paycheck, getting decent healthcare again and starting to push my career forward again.

As I've said many times, if I'm going to have to work for someone else, these are the people I want to work for. They are good people who treat others with respect and that means that they automatically will get my best effort because they deserve it.

There are always downsides but they are pretty easily overshadowed by all of the upsides. I will be commuting a bit further than I was before. But that's a short term issue as the job will also give us some home mobility as well. We are going to be able to sell this house and move closer back to town where all of our friends are and where we are more comfortable. And that is one of the huge motivating factors for me. I can't wait to put this house and this neighborhood in my rear view mirror because I will not look back for a second.

And, on that note, I'm going to go and get myself some decent sleep so I can hit the ground running in the morning.

Tags: , , ,

0 comments: