4.08.2003

Tuesday's Hodge Podge

As usual, there's lots of things going on right now. I'm trying a new recipe I saw on Alton Brown a week or two ago. Its not quite what he came up with but then, what ever comes out looking like those wicked TV concoctions?
Its a Salmon, Cod and Shrimp Roulade which is basically just a roll up with a fancy name. A few things I need to remember for next time, get the salmon filleted, get the cod filleted as well. But the basic deal is that the works are laid out with the ends overlapping, the shrimp is skewered (Alton used sea scallops in his roulade) and placed at the end of the cod Alton used flounder which is a really good choice as its a good flat fish that's not too thick). A very liberal seasoning with fresh chopped parsley, fresh dill if you've got it and the stupid store's not out of it so you have to use a dill based fish seasoning spice mix with a stupid name like, It's a Dilly, which means I can guarantee that I didn't buy it.
Anyway, the whole works are rolled up using a cool cheating technique to get a fairly tight roll, then its all wrapped in parchment and chilled for at least an hour (or 18 in my case). The now firmed up roll is brought out and sliced into 3/4 inch thick slabs with three kinds of ocean critter in one cool place. Toss it under the broiler for a few minutes to cook through, slap a pat of special compound butter on it and you've got a damned fine dinner entree.

Combine it with some rice, some of Paula's really good fried asparagus and we've got ourselves a reasonably good meal to look forward to. Oh yeah, combine all of that with a huge bottle of Pinot we got at Costco, its super cool because its a 1.5 liter (a good start) and the bottle is gorgeous, tall, blue, faceted and apparently the wine inside is excellent as well.

Juice of the Day
Sipping on: three fuji apples, a handful of spinach, a small handful of strawberries and a one inch chunk of fresh ginger root. Juiced, chilled and poured into my to go cup. That old "An apple a day" thing ain't got nothing on me. And that's just about right as there are some gnarly flus and colds floating around these days.

New Word or an Old Word Brought Back
I like words that seem like they should be curses but aren't. My latest good example of this is a combination of the words Jackass and asshole. Mash them together and what do you get? Jackhole - a dirty sounding word (or place) if I've ever heard of one. I'm still working on the best definition but I like the word and use it interchangably with asshole or jackass.

Other News
The San Francisco Giants are now 7 and 0 on the new baseball season. And what do the A's fans say? Talk to me when they get to 21 (and beat the A's consecutive win streak from last summer). Hey, I'm just happy both Bay Area ball clubs are off to good starts on the year as I do like the A's as well as the Giants. Now if I can only get one of my fantasy teams out of the cellar. The other two are in great shape but the one is dead in the water right now.

0 comments: