4.07.2003

Media Hype and Reality
I don't know about the rest of the universe but the scariest news in the news lately has been anything regarding the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and how many more people are infected and how many more people have died. Biological terrorism (though I highly doubt that SARS is an engineered virus), So I did a Google on it to see what I could find out, The first and best site I came across was called (appropriately enough) About SARS.

The skinny? About 4% of people who get SARS are gonna die from it. About 1300 people have been infected worldwide so far. It is like a gnarly flu that involves labored breathing and high fever. Its an airborne transmission virus (most likely a virus but they aren't quite sure yet). Anyway. Who's getting it? People who've been in Asia, people who are related to people who've been in Asia and health care workers.

So maybe SARS isn't the bubonic plague that the media has been playing it up to be but its still a pretty scary number. Out of every 25 people who get SARS, one will die from it.

Work Watch News
I'm anticipating another curious week of non speaking and directed passive aggressiveness at work. Perhaps this week will be the one in which I'm fired. Or perhaps not. I really don't care anymore. I've got other irons going now and expect to be able to leave of my own free will shortly. And hey, maybe I'll have a telephone and maybe even the internet in my office again. But I'm not holding my breath.

0 comments: