9.28.2003

Blogger and the Macintosh
I wouldn't be surprised if a whole lot of MS fanatics get a good kick out of this post. Its about the Mac's shortcomings, or more precisely, my Mac's shortcomings.
Granted that my little laptop isn't the newest and certainly isn't even close to the fastest but these sorts of things happened even when I first got it.

The first and most persistent pain in the ass has been that Java stuff will work. Sometimes. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to get there all the way, like it began to go and then got bored midway and just stopped.
OS X hasn't made any real difference and I blame the browsers as much as the OS (even if that's not technologically sound to do so). Basically, its sucked for a long time. I know Java is supposed to be the write once, run anywhere but it doesn't run all the time, never has, don't know if it ever will. Don't know if it ever will but it often chooses a crappy time to crap out.

Another joyous thrill is the mistake of making any attempts to adjust templates like Blogger uses to publish this blissful slice o' blogging love. In a word, don't. Don't try to mess with it. I've heard the advice before but I forget every once in a while and will end up getting to spend a whole night (oh boy!) fixing a shitted up template that, for some unknown reason, decided to cut off the code mid-streak.

And even now, there are some changes because there's a difference between the new and the old Intellectual Poison, why? Because the old template's gone, in the move to the new system, they went from a good handful of templates to a pretty wee handful. And then another hour or two of futzing around with it. Only to get back to where I am now.

And that means there's still that code tail up there on the left but it may not be there for everyone. The whole thing kind of just pisses me off and I'm ready for a change even though I've got one of those free hoodies on the way. Maybe it is, finally, time to move to Movable Type.

0 comments: