12.12.2002

Random Web Geneaology
As we geeks will do on occasion I was googling on my name last night (one of the advantages of a fairly distinctive surname) and came across this excellent web site that talks about my personal family history. Orgel history in German and then
Orgel history: translated. Note that I'm an Orgell with two L's but we're all the same stock.
I wrote to Thomas Orgel who is listed as the author on the site and we've opened a dialogue now. Its definite that he and I are related although I've not quite worked out exactly how. He was actually working from papers that my grandfather, Opa, had put together back in the 60's!

I'm quite excited about the prospect of learning about another whole part of my heritage and family that I'd only had a hint of before. He's working on creating a full digital family tree and it'll be fun to get the American part of the family in it too! It truly is a shame that my father won't get a chance to meet him as I'm sure he would have been delighted to reconnect with these relatives and was almost certainly already aware of them.

Plenty of other good stuff going on today too!
Other News
Like I had abalone for the first time last night, we had a nice little dinner party with abalone, silver salmon, wickedly good garlic cheese thyme rosemary bread and other goodies. And if anyone was wondering, Sonoma Creek Merlot 1999 is a pretty decent bottle of wine but not after having sweet food. It matches very, very well with fish.

My only regret from last night is that I didn't get any writing done and I've got several projects that I really do need to devote some time to. Oh yeah, I didn't read any either but that's because my eyes were too damned sore by the time I ended up getting into bed. I need someone to train me to get to bed before 1 in the morning or get me a job where I can sleep in until 10 or so every morning.

No comments: