2.04.2007

Super Bowl XLI Prediction

I don't have a real horse in today's Super Bowl match up. I like some things about the Colts and I like alot of things about Da Bears so, in a one to one matchup, I'm more of a Bears fan than a Colts fan.

And only a little bit tinged by my up-raising in Baltimore during the era when the Colts were stolen in the middle of the night.

My prediction for today's game is for the Bears to win, final score 31-24. Not for them to beat the spread (7 points last I checked) but for the Bears to win outright. What am I basing this on? [Update 3:13 pm: With a wet field and conditions, I'd knock three points off each score, maybe more if the rain holds up.]

Defense, fire and special teams.

There's no question that Peyton Manning is a far superior quarterback at this stage in his career than Rex Grossman. That's not really debatable.

But the Bears defense is well rested, fired up and is going to really make things tough on Peyton to get his job done. And yes, Manning has weapons to use in Marvin Harrison, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark and Dominic Rhodes. But you watch the Bears D come on strong and smack them right in the mouth.

On the Bears offensive side, Rex is shaky and it'll remain to be seen if Good Rex or Bad Rex shows up today. But he's also got some weapons to make use of.

The game will, as many NFL games do, come down to special teams and turnovers. If the Bears can strip the ball or intercept it more than twice, they'll win. If not then they'll lose. And don't be surprised if Devon Hester lights up the scoreboard on a kick return.

Either way, it'll be a good game and I'm looking forward to it.

[Update: Nine twenty pm, Colts by 12. Damn. The game got kind of boring in the second half. Oh well, nice job Peyton, Tony and the rest of the guys.]

Tags: , , ,

0 comments: